Friday, November 18, 2011

Occupy Reflections

A statue of a corporate dude is the only symbol that was visible at Zuccotti Park when we arrived the morning of November 17, 2011, as if taunting the incoming protestors of the previous night's raid. A few workers garbed in pseudo haz-mat suits were steam cleaning the park as a good riddance reminder of what the mayor thinks of the Occupy ilk.
Perhaps I am a coward... as I was afraid to get a photo of the massive police force that greeted us as a blockade along the streets leading into Wall Street where the protest commenced. But we managed to sneak around the block to participate anyway.

Just as we got around the block, another small police presence arrived...ironically by the Imperial truck. There were only three of them so we slipped by.

It was light out, but even on a automatic setting my camera could sense the darkness I was experiencing. This is a police state.

The furled hem of the flag just looked like Uncle Sam's cap upon a financial building... freedom to capitalism is what I saw. I was afraid.
A shy looking woman with an excellent sign caught my attention. The protesters were of a mixed demographic.

A peace sign flag was a solace to me and because I was afraid of getting pepper sprayed or clubbed over the head for being here, I put on my best smile and marched with my fingers in a peace sign.

A simple cardboard message of why I am here. I live well... but why shouldn't everyone else as well. If one of us suffers we all do... isn't this what compassion is about?

Our vantage point... there is only one way to go, Occupy here and now.  So we did. Was it scary? Yes, it was.
Another sign lifted by someone my age that gave me solace... these are not just a bunch of angst ridden teenagers out for some anarchy... the attendees were a good sampling of the entire community... young, old, poor, affluent, black, white... all boundaries crossed and in peaceful unity. The mainstream media is wrong.
The buildings around wall street are like the cathedrals of olden times, built to intimidate and make you think that capitalism is the pinnacle of the world and somehow godly. This patriarchal aggression will not survive.

I would still like to remain the beautiful "litter" that decorates the street and bears witness to the hope of Spring in the dying. Only people, not corporations are capable of determining their own personal and collective fate. Power to the People!