Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Return Trip to Miami

So our youngest was safely delivered to his new home after a day's delay in OK and we needed to get back to NJ so Gerry could resume work at his new job. We stayed overnight and slept on Colin's floor for three nights, which wouldn't have been so bad, but I forgot we were in a city and so on the second night, I was awakened by the drone of a nearby helicopter and a loud voice from a megaphone, stating "come out with your hand up, the house is surrounded, we will let the police dogs in and you may be bitten." Now Gerry and I are not city people and although this bank robber suspect was within close vicinity to Colin's apartment, we went running out into the night air to see what was going on (not smart, I know, as there could have been gunfire). But it all resolved and that was the extent of big city excitement. We shoved off and were able to see the Hoover Dam which is an engineering marvel, and then spent a few hours at the Grand Canyon which is more spectacular than my photos could ever depict. Our biggest thrill however was returning to little Miami, OK to return a copper bracelet to our friend Justin, and to say hi to our new friends there. We walked into Boomers Bar at 8:30 that night and had just missed Justin and Dee who had previously left. It was a whole new crowd of people and we instantly struck up a conversation with Sonny (a 72 year old Native American who loves John Bonjovi) and his wife Karen who giggled as I relayed the story of a cigarette ash burning a clump of hair off the top of my head giving me a mini mullet (true story). It was karaoke night and soon a small crowd wandered in as Christa our bartender told us we couldn't leave because some of the local talent was coming in to sing. She actually got the ball rolling with Stevie Nick's Landslide (one of my favorites) and she did a great job, as she shyly sang from behind the bar. We were treated to a version of "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin by an unassuming guy in a baseball cap that was spot on perfect, and he humorously altered the lyrics a bit to suit his own angst. Then there was an older Cherokee woman who set up a makeshift jewelry display right on the bar (I had to buy a beautiful necklace for $10) and then sang a stirring country song whose title I did not catch. You could see by the hardened lines on her face that she probably lived through the heartbreak that she sang about. There was a young woman ( the house diva) who belted out the Melissa Etheridge song, "I'm the Only One" and brought the house down. Another older woman (about my age) sang a beautiful country song and sounded just like Patsy Cline, and when we were leaving she yelled to us, "where are you going, "I'm going to do a Patsy Cline hit next." There was a young 20 something who got up and did a great version of "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes and everyone couldn't help but chime in... though no one could belt it out over her voice.. it was electrifying. There were singers of all ages, sizes, genders, and the songs that they chose were as diverse as the people singing them. For some reason I thought it would be all country music, but I was surprised that it was not (another stereotypical thought dispelled). There was even a doo-wop song just for Gerry... called... angel something, and he sang along with gusto... so you know we felt comfortable there! I have never seen such talent, such fun, and such camaraderie at a karaoke venue.. there were no egos present, only a warm bunch of people out for a good time. Once we are on the road for good, I know we will be back at Boomers, so maybe I should practice up a song for karaoke night. Ya never know.