Monday, April 12, 2010

Heaven is a Dance Party



My favorite activity (at least the one I can talk about) is dancing, and this weekend I got the invitation of a lifetime. A friend of Gerry's from college who was refound on Facebook, invited us to a five hour dance party on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. I was besides myself in anticipation because except for the occasional wedding there doesn't ever seem to be any clubs around for the 50 and over crowd. Although I don't mind some rap or hip hop, what excites me most is the dance music from my past... punk, disco, new wave, alternative, R&B... I'm not that fussy, as long as it's danceable. Well, we took the train in on Saturday for the party that lasted from 12-5 and I met the most terrific new friends and I got to dance for five hours to the best music from "our era." The music was so good in fact that there was no way that I couldn't dance for the full five hours. The best part was that I actually won the prize of a five hour CD set of the music that was recorded by our host (who is a terrific dancer and also danced almost every song as well)! I think Gerry captured me best in these shots which seem to suggest... get ready, get set, now dance like a maniac... and believe me I did! It was heavenly!