Monday, November 9, 2009

A Birthday for Beauty


Yesterday was a balmy 67 degrees and I pent most of the day just sitting on the front porch enjoying the sunny day and watching the leaves fall. I kept thinking about that wonderful day 31 years ago when my daughter Tara (nicknamed beauty) was born. I remembered both the joy of holding her for the first times and the trepidation of caring for a real live baby. I wonder how she will feel when her own daughter Annabelle is born this month? She looks wonderful and is feeling much better this past month. She came for her birthday dinner yesterday with hubby Chris and Lily and Betty and bother Dale came too. It was mayhem for poor Otis as the snuffling bull-dogs traipsed around the house and tried not to get too close to my bunny. They have both been attacked by Otis and I think they think that he is just a silly cat, but Otis was on high alert watching their every move and standing his ground when it was carrot time in the kitchen. Gerry made a real homey feast of roast chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. I made a salad, cooked the broccoli, and earlier in the day made Tara her favorite poppy seed cake. I told her this would be the last time we would light candles and sing to her now that a baby is coming and she said, "Good, I'm too old for that anyway." Gerry and Chris were watching the Giants lose ( and Chris even stayed calm about it) while Tara and Dale were watching funny SNL clips on the computer. I got to hang out with my grandoggies and spoil them with small pieces of chicken giblets and lots of head pats and coos. It was a nice evening and made me even more excited to think about becoming a real grandma.