Friday, November 20, 2009

Oh To Be A Singer

I have lots of dreams and fantasies that go along with my over-active imagination. But if I had to pick one dream that stands at the top of my list it would be to be a singer with a really great voice who could belt out a song to an audience of listeners and touch them in some way. Remember how you felt when you heard Whitney Huston sing the National Anthem... I know I was blown away with emotion. Or more recently I saw Van Morrison in concert... we took our two middle children who are fans, and they were completely overwhelmed. Though his voice isn't the best voice I ever heard there is a distinctiveness and a confidence that is beyond compare. How great to share such a talent! I know when I get feeling a little blue, I will put on the music and dance, and I can dance pretty well. But when I have some free time and I feel pretty good about myself, I will put on the music and sing at the top of my lungs. I was told years ago (by a music teacher) that I only have a range of three good notes and that was a big blow to my ego because I loved singing in the chorus. She told me I would do better if I sang with the boys as my voice was so low. It made me mad and I often would sing the soprano parts falsetto... just because I wanted to feel like a girl with a pretty voice. I kept on singing in the privacy of my room, or in the car by myself, and as long as I was singing in a lower register, I thought I sounded pretty good. There would be no singing in public and definitely no acapella songs either... without an artist behind me I don't think I could find the notes. So today I will again share a video of me singing in my low, slightly off key voice... just because I can and I'm content to pretend I'm a singer. Maybe you can get a little chuckle off it and that would make me happy.