Thursday, November 12, 2009

Happy Housecleaning

Oh we have our final open house coming up this weekend... at least for this year. As always, it means a week of extreme housecleaning and yet I found some happy ways to perform these mundane tasks. I begin by putting on some loud happy music and old clothes. Most of my living room furniture is gone and so in order to polish up the parquet floors, I might play Huey Lewis and the News and spray a little pledge on my socks and dance and twirl around the floor to the beat of the music. A little pledge on the old sleeves and I can swipe away dust on the piano, computer table, and bookshelves as I dance and sing to gain momentum. Hand scrubbing floors needs a little more angst driven elbow grease and so I might blast Green Day as I get down to business of the scrub. When it comes to taking down curtains and washing the windows I need a little more concentration and so the music comes down a peg... perhaps a little psychedelic sound of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I'm new to their music and so I listen to the lyrics as I climb on stools to remove dusty curtains and clean the windows... my singing gets carried away and so I reserve the singing songs for when I'm grounded and not tettering on the kitchen stools. I hate vacuuming most of all and I need to hear the voice of Bono at full volume to get through with this most odious of chores. Luckily I only have area rugs, as I would probably go deaf if I had to vacuum wall to wall at this volume. For closet and cabinet cleaning I usually go old school... very old school... with Tommy Roe, the heart throb of my childhood. I know all the words by heart and can still his old bubble gum songs even though my voice has deepened with age. I can forget about singing with Petula Clark even though I could as a kid. As I perform the chores to my happy music the time flies, I get a work-out, and also exercise the lungs as I shout out my songs. Who knew housework could be so fun! I'm just glad no one can see my antics or hear my voice as they'd probably think me insane... like Otis, my bunny who hides when I get in this groove.