Thursday, May 13, 2010

For the Love of Cats

Mimma



Milo

I love cats and so I can't help but brag about my grankitties. Mimi, or "Mimma" as we call her, is a sweet sultry beauty who only allows public displays of affection on her terms (when you least expect it). Mostly she enjoys sunning herself in the window and avoiding the slobber of Lily the bulldog (she is most tolerant of Lily, even though she considers herself to be far superior to such a simpleton as a dog). She will appear missing for hours after I arrive to watch my grandaughter, and just when I begin to think she doesn't care that I am there, she will gingerly walk over to me as I sit on the couch, jump into my lap and allow me to pet her. No grabbing or loud noise please, she likes the sound of her own purr and likes to be gently stroked and admired... in small doses.
Now Milo is quite another story. He is very good-natured and outgoing, albeit a bit of a nosy bird. Upon my arrival, he will jump on the kitchen table (where he knows he doesn't belong) and stare at his food dish on the windowsill where I put his and Mimma's kitty treats. He is not beneath begging, and as I approach the table to pet his head he will stretch up to my shoulders, stare into my face with that pleading look that demands those fishy little treats, and poke his nose into mine. He is really pretty gentle as he does this maneuver, considering he still has all of his claws and yet he has never once scratched me doing this. Milo needs lots of attention and gets quite annoyed if I dare to read while he is present. As soon as the book is opened he will jump into my lap and worm his way into the book so it would be impossible to read. He has also been known to muscle in when I try to feed baby girl her bottle. He doesn't even mind it when she grabs a bit of his fur, as long as he is able to join in the feeding ritual.
Both Mimma and Milo love when Granny Wen visits, not just because I give them treats and spoil them, but because they are smart enough to know a true "cat person" when they see one.