Monday, September 22, 2008

Another Joyous Holiday


What I think we need in these times of crisis is more holidays... those joyous days of ritual, celebration and good old fun. Now I know what you're probably thinking...ye gads but that just adds more stress i.e shopping, spending, cooking, cleaning, not to mention the worry over who should be invited. Now, I'm not talking about frenzied preparations associated with the major calendar holidays, but rather the quiet, personal ones that mark an important event or turning point. I happen to celebrate the change of seasons on both the Equinoxes and Solstices and they are among my favorites. Today is the Autumn Equinox and to allow my husband to join in the festivities, we celebrated on Saturday night (when you create your own holiday you can pick the day that seems right regardless of what the calendar says). As the day began, we wished each other a Happy Holiday with a kiss. We went about our usual routine but centered a lot of the time on creating something special. My husband (who is the chef in our home) chose to make a Lebanese lamb stew featuring fresh garden tomatoes and okra. It was so wonderfully spiced that the whole house took on a holiday fragrance that no candle could match. We both love poetry, so he and I chose poems that reminded us of fall, and following our special meal, retired to the patio with Otis (my bunny) and our holiday cocktails. We sat and watched the leaves falling, the sun setting, our rabbit playing, and got giddy and silly in each other's company. At dusk we read our poems to each other and then lit a small bonfire in the fire bowl. We looked forward to hearing Van Morrison's, Autumn Song, but since our ipod died that day, we were content with the sound of birds and crickets. After the fire died down we enjoyed a special dessert (there is never any dieting on a holiday) and the night ended with sighs of contentment and a kiss. No budget was harmed in the making of this holiday and I look forward to the next. That will be Pumpkin Day. No, not Halloween, but the buying of the pumpkin for Halloween, that should come in about two weeks. I can hardly wait!