Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Patience Sayeth the Runes

As you can see from my profile, I have been on a spiritual quest since childhood. It all began when my parents saw fit to send me to the little local non-denomination chapel that stood behind our home. In the summer they would sponsor the vacation bible school where kids could go for a few hours a day to do arts and crafts, share cookies and a glass of water, and listen to bible stories. It was a way for the neighborhood moms to get some free time to do mom things. I had a hard time with arts and crafts because I couldn't use scissors (back then if you were a lefty you either learned to be a righty, which I eventually did, or you failed at art). When we were made to drink water out of a communal glass after our token cookie, I informed the teachers that we were sharing germs (for which I was labeled a smart ass), but story time was my favorite. I would be enthralled watching the ancient pastor talk of the flood and the ark, Jonah and the whale, and poor old Job. I had many, many questions about what this all had to do with being good. I was such a serious little pupil that the old pastor finally approached my parents about me joining the church because of my "special spiritual nature". They flatly refused because as my dad stated, "those bible thumpers didn't believe in dancing, drinking or TV", and so I was given a Bible and sent on my way. My mom tried her best to give me a Catholic upbringing, but again I had too many smart assed questions, "Why do the Indians have to go to hell just because they don't understand our language"? I never got good answers, only punishment. I was determined to find a religion that felt right for me by studying, going to other churches, but finally in adulthood I just gave up. So now, I meditate, reflect, recite Celtic prayers with an Earth based philosophy, and I do the Runes when I want to explore the depths of myself. Runes are stones with a form of Scandinavian symbol that randomly chosen corresponds to a meaning that helps guide the believer to a greater self awareness. Over time, you begin to see which meaning needs the most attention in order to better know yourself. The one most frequently chosen by and for me is Eihwaz, the counsel of patience. I know this is true as I yell at other drivers even when I am the passenger, yell at a boss when my bonus is meager, and generally get testy when things don't go my way. So lately I have been feeling very patient (having lost my job and given away my car) and yet I am trying to convince myself that the universe will know when the time is right for my house to be sold, so a new adventure can begin. I can almost taste it! But yet again when I consult the Runes about the timing for this great occurrence ......(you can guess), Eihwaz was drawn.