Monday, June 29, 2009

They're Heading West

Saturday Gerry and I went to the going away party for my nephew Ryan and his fiancee Theresa. It was a big shocker, as we all expected an engagement party, but when Tee got a job across the country... they made plans to book... and I say hooray!! (wish it was me and Gerry taking off!) Though we'll miss them, there is an excitement to moving from the familiar and starting a new life... and let's face it, we are all only a half-day's plane ride away. I have never been to Oregon but it will be on our destination list, especially after one my old friends that I saw at the party claimed that it was the most beautiful state he's ever been to, and he has trucked over most of the country. There was a great big feast and a pool party in honor of the happy couple who did much of the cooking themselves. Poor Gerry wanted so bad to play Kan-Jam (the game that tore his muscle a few weeks back) but he knew his nurse would be furious with him... but when I wasn't watching he did throw a couple times and I let it slide. I got busy meeting friends I haven't seen in 20, 30 years... it is a small world and funny how time goes by but when you reconnect with old friends time hasn't changed a thing... if you had fun and things in common with each other, chances are you still do. Our current family of 8 ate together and mocked and laughed and managed not to be too crazy, although I think singing the rap songs that they play at Zumba class probably raised a few eyebrows. Normally Tee and Ryan would be included as our family, but since their parents and siblings were there, we understandably took back seat. It was a great party... all happy well-wishers doing what our big connected family does best... eat, drink, and be merry!  No sad goodbye tears.. just hugs and promises that we will visit them when it's our turn to hit the road. Til then... Tee and Ryan, "ALL THE BEST... WE LOVE YOU!"