Monday, March 29, 2010

The Spell is Broken


Well, I have finally received the sign that I have been waiting for. The gazing ball in our front yard mysteriously shattered this weekend. That is the daffy duck in a turban image you see above. And to seal the deal, one of the back porch lights mysteriously shattered last night (though the light did not go out... good thing). You see, we have been patiently waiting to sell our house, buy a Eurovan and take off to see the country for a few years. It has been the worst market to sell a house... even a terrific house like the one we have lived in for the past 13 years. It has given us a lot of joy, but now that the kids are grown and gone, it is just too big and unnecessary. The other day I got really frustrated thinking about our plans that are on hold and I got mad and shouted at the top of my lungs, "I can't stand this house anymore... I just want to go!" Maybe it was the house fairies who finally got the message, or the piskies that live out in the back yard, but somebody heard my yell and I get the feeling that they are taking me seriously now. I'm thankful for all the good times here, but there is another family out there who needs all these rooms and this big old yard. We are putting the house back on the market on Thursday and whoever looks at it will see all the wonderful repairs we did for the next owners (new windows, sealed basement, painting). I think the time has come for us to get those buyers so we can pursue our dream... I will not be replacing the gazing ball... the next owners can do that if they so choose.