Friday, March 5, 2010

All in a Day's Work

I started my new job this week... one that I know will turn into a rewarding career. I am babysitting my grand daughter Annabel and boy the time flys when we are together. She arrives sleeping in her car seat as the lull of the travel puts her to sleep. It is all I can do to keep from snatching her up to greet her with hugs and kisses. I respectfully wait until she slowly wakes in the heat of my home and stretches and yawns as those big blue eyes still watery from sleep open and take in the unfamiliar surroundings. There is a brief grimace of worry which I refer to as the boo boo face and at that point I can't resist gently lifting her out of her darkened confinement and into my arms for warm kisses on that perfect peach of a sweet smelling baby head. Her little wobbly head surveys the surroundings and then she looks right into my eyes and a big drooly smile lights up my world! After weeks of practice at her own home, I know her routine and I heat a bottle for her to ward off the inevitable tantrum that will occur if I am late for her breakfast. Hungrily she sucks down the formula, all the while cooing and gulping... I don't dare pull that nipple out until the bottle is empty or I know she will punish me with a frustrated whimper. Once fed she will dangle over my shoulder as I pat her for a belch or two, as she naps a bit with the half closed eyes of the "milk drunk." I gently dap her chin with her bib and place her in the Boppy pillow for a little nap. Soon she awakens and is bright eyed and ready for some fun. On goes the music and we dance and whirl around my empty living room for several songs. When my back signals that I have met my limit, she goes in her swing and she watches me sing and dance for her while she gnaws on the many rattle toys offered to her. All her senses are on high alert as she learns about her place in the world with her long delicate fingers and the sensations tasted by her exploring mouth. I laugh as she lets out her little screams of delight... she has a lot to say and a big bright voice to say it with. I understand her contentment!
I show her all my latest nature photos in a slide show and she ooohs and ahhs in cooing fashion. Then we might play a computer game of Luxor Ma Jong, which is colorful and stimulating for her as my mouse clicks the matches and I call out the numbers and symbols. She gets very excited as the background music of the game works into a quiet frenzy as the coupled tiles disappear. Before long it is changing time, feeding time, nap time... and then more learning games and lots of hugs and kisses. My daughter arrives as we are singing along with Madonna... "Cherish, is word I use to remind me of... your looovvvee!" Belee and I are like peas and carrots and I'm getting her used to the video cam so when Gerry and I hit the road in our Eurovan this year, she and I can still communicate.