Monday, September 21, 2009

The Vast Beauty of the Grand Canyon


I'm not one for crowds of tourists, especially when I am admiring a natural beauty such as the Grand Canyon in AZ. I need time and quiet to take my pictures so I walked a bit away from the crowds and found my own ledge to view from. There were no fences or rails and I think Gerry might have been momentarily worried when I turned around and waved at him to take my picture on the jutting piece of rock on which I stood. The drop was steep, but as someone who is not bothered by heights... it was exciting as well. As I stood and gazed at the wondrous shades, colors, and patterns of the canyon, I knew it would be of little value snapping hundreds of pictures. There is no camera (or at least one I could afford) that could ever do justice to the spectacular splendor that lay before me in three D delight. I was content to watch a condor circle the air currents overhead and then below and it was amazing how utterly quiet my surroundings were... as no one followed me. And so I just stood there for many many minutes, mesmerized and alone with my thoughts, wishing I could fly as well... until Gerry found me. He was able to spend time alone in reverence from his viewing spot closer to the tourists (he is not a fan of heights, as he gets vertigo) but I thought he took a nice photo of me and my shadow up there on the ledge. Often we have joked that if life on the road gets too tough we will do a "Thelma and Louise" flight in the Eurovan over the canyon. But from the look on Gerry's face at the edge, I don't think we have to worry about that... as long as he is driving.