Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Voracious Read

Yesterday I was remiss in completing any of my domestic duties, except for the preparation of a fine meal for Gerry, who deserves better than a sandwich for all of his hard work. There was no laundry done, no sweeping, vacuuming, exercise, blogging... and even poor Otis was left to his own meditative state. I promised myself when I bought the new Dan Brown novel, " The Lost Symbol" that I would read it slowly and savor his suspense, style, brilliant research, and intrigue... but noo, it was not possible. I sat in my bathrobe and read it until reaching the fabulous conclusion. Don't worry, I will not disclose anything plot related... as a matter of fact, I cannot. Once I read a book, although I enjoy it immensely I cannot relay the details of what I just read. I usually forget the names of main characters, and I find that I can't articulate the progression of the story with any semblance of linear thought (probably why I scored miserably on my SAT's, although I was a good student). But this story so touched the core of my belief system that I can't stop thinking about it. It is not just a great suspense thriller, but also a thought changing miracle of sorts, worthy of a second read. I always feel a little sad when I finnish a book that is so compelling that it transports me right out of my own little world into an alternate reality. Books are a great escape for me, always have been, but this one takes the prize... I can't stop thinking about it. I know there will probably be a movie in the future, but just as I loved the Da Vinci Code... I couldn't stand the thought of Hollywood competing with my own imagination. So today while I'm catching up on my mundane chores, I will be sneaking moments to reread snippets of this truly amazing novel.