Saturday, February 13, 2010

Aging Gracefully

In a world gone mad with retaining eternal youth, I welcome the sight of the stray silver hairs that streak my hair and the faint lines that circle my mouth and eyes. They add a new dimension to my look without any cosmetic intervention by me. Unless there is some kind of grotesque deformity going on as I age, there will be no botox or plastic surgery for me. I have always taken good care of my skin and hair as I take pride in my good looks, though it hasn't always been this way. In my younger years I was hyper-critical of everything from my freckles to the the dulling of the once blonde hair that I had in my youth. I was always too fat or too thin, too white, or too ordinary. There were years in my early adulthood when my hair was dyed and frosted, permed and clipped in every style and color imaginable... and still I never looked right. Somehow over the years all that changed and now... well none of that really matters, as I am content with the way I look. I still have my morning ritual where I apply moisturizer and sun block all over. I also apply the subtle make-up that accentuates without overpowering my fair features (my one vanity is to match the make-up to my outfit). But once my face is on I go about my business and except for a reapplication of lipstick before my husband comes home (another habit that dies hard), I don't think about how I look, as I am too busy finding simple pleasures to fill my time. I laugh alot and smile alot and so the lines and wrinkles I have are a badge of honor for me. At night, I always remove my make-up and gently butter my face with an inexpensive moisturizer (one that does not test on animals) and brush my hair with the thinest coating of oil after I have applied it to my hands and elbows and knees. My teeth are a natural yellow tint, but they get brushed vigorously twice a day and flossed as well and there is no need to bleach them as I will never be a part of the entertainment crowd. Probably the best thing that I do for my middle-aged reflection in the mirror is to look at it without harsh judgement and verbally affirm, " you look marvelous!" So let it be written, so let it be done!