Sunday, February 28, 2010

Two of my favorite things... biking and baking.


It took me a long time to learn how to ride a bike... almost three years as a matter of fact. My early frustration and determination paid off in the long run, as biking has been and is still one of my great joys. I just got my new Trek, a lightweight frame with juicy, hydraulic, disc brakes and front shocks with a lock out feature and it sure is sweet. It was ordered last week and came in on the day of a major snowstorm. My husband knew how excited I was to get it and so we ventured out to the cycle shop to pick it up even though they were closing early. A little snow and ice did not deter me from the best ride of my life... like a kid at Christmas I just had to try out my new toy! The hum of the wheels on the wet pavement as the wind kisses my cheeks keeps a perpetual smile on my face as I ride to the tune of my own private thoughts... they are happy thoughts indeed! How do I thank my husband for such a sweet gift? There are many ways to show my appreciation, but when I am happy and thankful I put that joy and love into baking. This weekend I made a plate of almond crescents and an apple pie. I love the feel of dough being manipulated by my hands and I pride myself on being able to peel an apple with the skin in one spiraled helix. The aroma of the crushed Marcona almonds baking rival those of the spicy sizzle of the apple pie... it's a good thing we both ride as we do. The best part of baking is the tasting, and when you ride in the wind pushing the limits of endurance, the reward of a home cooked dessert is especially sweet!