Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Brigid's Day

Yesterday was one of my favorite holidays on the Wiccan Calendar called Imbolc or Brigid's Day. In Celtic legend, Brigid was a Goddess who fed the hungry people of Ireland with her magic cow that produced lakes of rich milk. Although her cow was red eared, I'm particularly fond of the black and white variety seen above. Brigid was also the patron deity of silversmiths, poets, midwives, and ale-makers... a strong woman of many talents, so much in fact that when the Christians took over the spirituality of the Irish, the former pagans would not give up their beloved Goddess and so she was made a saint. In the Christian view she was the midwife to Jesus's birth. The word Imbolc means" in the belly" referring to the lambing time of birth that signifies the coming of the Spring. Brigid is associated with the fire of the hearth or purification, and so her day is a good time to get one's house (and spiritual house) in order.

I usually bake a special dessert on this day and yesterday I chose to make a French Apple Pie which has apples and raisins and is spiced with cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg. Once baked I spread a vanilla glaze over the top which made the pie look like snow covered hills.

My ceremony is a simple one that includes various readings and incantations aimed at strengthening my connection with Spirit. I usually play soft Celtic music, decorate my alter with fresh flowers or leaves, and I light many candles and incense. After the readings there is a meditation and perhaps a divination. Then sacred magick is performed (that's the only part of the ceremony that is secret). At the end of the ceremony a toast of sparkling juice or cider is made to the God/Goddess as well as an offering of small cookies. This is referred to "cakes and ale" and it's important to partake of the refreshment as lots of energy is expended. These rituals that I perform are really no different than the connection that others would find by going to their own houses of worship on a holiday. The only difference is that I make up the rules and readings according to what feels right for me. Oh, and there is usually a celebratory dessert after the ceremony is completed. The pie served with ice-cream was just divine!