Monday, February 1, 2010

Feeling Old Musically

I love all kinds of music from classical to synthpop and almost all genres in between. So like many Americans I tuned in to the Grammys last night to hear some of the current musical stars and see their performances. Perhaps I didn't expect that much, as the glitzy stage was set and the stars began appearing with their music. I didn't expect to see cirque de soleil acrobatics or comic book characters coming to life. I was prepared for bright lights, handheld microphones and clothes befitting the genres... but somehow I was confused. The Grammys are supposed to celibrate the best of the best in the music industry but no one sounded all that good. Now I know most of the contenders who I usually hear on the radio... I'm not that out of touch. The songs are catchy and the vocals and songwriting are really good. I always liked Pink with her offbeat style, but even she seemed to be dressed like a Hollywood starlet with the blonde hair, make-up, and scanty outfit and although her acrobatic performance was stunning, it was a distraction from the music. The Black Eyed-Peas have a great sound, but I have to admit that the shouting and the weird robots dancing around reminded me of a high school musical... it did make me laugh though. I had never heard of the country music winners, I admit, but I looked forward to their performance with Leon Russell. Poor Leon looked like Rip Van Winkle but his voice was still clear as a bell if he was indeed singing live. He did a good service to the winners who I found uninspired. I waited impatiently to see Stevie Nicks perform with Taylor Swift, both of whom I like very much. Something was wrong, as I strained to hear the clear vocals that were muffled together and poorly mixed. I didn't feel the need to continue watching. I was a Michael Jackson fan, but the thought of seeing him dancing around posthumously knowing how he was ridiculed after his alleged "fall" would just give me the willies. It just seems so hypocritical. The whole production was so over the top in gaudy decoration, the music seemed flat in comparison. I admit that I'm probably just an aging crankster who doesn't enjoy all he theatrical hype that goes along with the Grammy awards. I'd rather watch the wonderful performances of the rising stars on a venue like you-tube (or better yet itunes) where the purity of the music really shines through.