Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Here it Comes Again...

I wait in restless anticipation of another snow day, like a school aged child with a new sled, only for me it is a new camera and I am over a half a century old! Our last storm was less than a week ago and although some areas got over 2 feet, we had an enjoyable 4 inches. All day I waited at the window watching for the tell tale signs of a coming blizzard. I got to the store to buy the provisions for being snowed in... mostly snacks and juice and ice-cream... the important stuff. I got impatient when at the predicted time of 6 PM there was no snow falling yet. Well, the weatherman said it would start at that time! It actually didn't start until after midnight and as my bedtime is 9 PM, I couldn't wait up. But at the sound of whistling trees I awoke at 4 AM and had to sneak downstairs in the darkness to see the whirling of frosty flakes in the shadows of the trees and bushes that were illuminated by the back porch light. Just delightful... I felt like running outside in my robe and dancing barefooted on the patio, but at that hour there are many wild animals that lurk about and I wouldn't want to frighten them. I returned to bed with the thought that school was cancelled and now I could sleep in... and I did until sun-up. After a good breakfast of waffles and blackberries with syrup and whipped cream, I bundled up to go play in the snow with my trusted broom. It only appeared as I was cleaning cars and sweeping porches, as my imagination had me conjuring up snow fairies in chariots as the sweeping sting of diamond confetti whirled around my face. My ever ready camera was there to help me find the magick to share. Again I'm excited as this snow storm is supposed to be even bigger than the last. My pea soup was started at 5 AM, my snack shopping is done, and I had my daughter visit with baby Annabel in case I get snowed in for a few days... one can only hope. I have an urge to bake and so there will be biscuits with dinner tonight... rolled ones and not the cheater drop biscuits. Pardon me while I check the sky outside my window for the 100th time today... I'm a little excited anticipating a really big storm this time, and like a real adult I'll probably have to call out from work (my volunteer job) so I can have the guilty pleasure of a real snow day.