Monday, February 2, 2009

A Feast to Remember

Just when I thought I could not take another day of the winter doldrums, Imbolc, one of my Wiccan holidays was upon us. Usually celebrated on Feb 1 or 2, my husband Gerry and I chose to celebrate it on Saturday night. This holiday honors the Celtic Goddess Brigit, who is best known for her gifts of healing, silversmithing, poetry and beer-making. The day is marked for the turn of wheel which gives rise to the hope of the coming spring, and is also know as Candlemas the Feast of Flames. The day began with my pronouncement that I wanted to have the Guinness pie that is Gerry's own recipe. After I planned the rest of the menu, which included Spinach with Hot Bacon Dressing, Dilled Baby Carrots, and Dried Cherry Oatcakes for dessert, we went to the market. Giving me hope for Spring in spite of the 22 degree temperature was a big stand of daffodils that were still in bud... we bought several bunches. Once home, Gerry did the preparation for the time consuming stew that is the filling for the pie, and I made the oatcakes. I also prepared the readings that I would recite for the ceremony I would lead later that night. Otis, our bunny, got several extra treats, so he felt included in the celebration. As the sun set, I lit several candles in each room of the first floor, and we recited our chosen poetry to each other as we do for all of our holiday celebrations. We shared some Guinness stout and assorted cheeses (I like Stilton, Gerry likes Brie so we had both). Gerry carved a pentacle into the pie before popping it into the oven, as I prepared the vegetables. Dinner was enjoyed by candlelight and music that has a mystical allure. You probably know Richie Blackmore from the old rock group Deep Purple, and his new rock music includes medieval madrigals, gregorian chants,  and a singer whose voice is like an angelic fairy. After dinner, we both cleaned up and then I prepared my "meditation room" for our ceremony. After casting a circle, lighting candles and incense, and donning my ceremonial cloak, I recited "Charge of the Goddess", as Gerry strummed my tara harp. Several more readings were recited that were particular to the holiday, and then magick was performed (you'll have to use your imagination here as this part of the ritual is sacred). We ended with the traditional cakes and ale (mead), closed the circle, and then gave libations or deliberate leftovers to the fairies who protect our yard. The rest of the night was spent watching Dr. Zhivago on TV. I snapped the above photo of the moon, right before retiring to bed, and couldn't help but marvel that the petals of the underexposed moon, were not unlike the petals of the opening daffodils... which filled me with a sense of hope and wonder.