Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I Dance for "Dead" People

My favorite activity of all time (well at least the one I'm willing to share about) is dancing. I like all forms of exercise because I don't believe in dieting and I like to look my best. More importantly, since adding some form of daily exercise to my routine day, I was able to overcome a long-standing depression without drugs.  Bike riding gives a good mental work-out, Zumba class is a great social outlet that does not require socializing per se, and walking is my spiritual outlet. But my dancing takes on a whole new direction... one you might think is crazy, but just hear me out. There have been many musicians who have profoundly touched my life with their gifts, however, some of them are no longer with us...  taken at the prime of their lives (John Lennon, George Harrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Hutchence, Otis Redding, just to name drop a few). So when I pick out my dance music for a workout, I invite my unseen friends and dance as a sacred thank-you for them. No matter how tired or unmotivated I feel, once the music is on and my audience is present, I will dance with the purpose of a stage performer. Sometimes in my mind's eye, I will catch a smile from one of them, sometimes I feel the presence of others who just want to peek in (everyone is invited to my dance party), but mostly I feel a connection with a world that is not yet understood on this plane.. no one really dies, part of them just goes to a different frequency. Some us here can understand that we are able to connect with that frequency, and a part of them is always with us. If I had the tech savvy and the capital, I would start an international dance party for the living via the Web... until that time, I'm happy dancing for my unseen audience.. no matter who they are.