Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Shining Opportunity

Over the past few months, I have unsuccessfully submitted applications, spoke to numerous recruiters who assured me I had top qualifications... only to be ignored after submitting my resume. I should probably feel at least a little dejected, but I don't. Instead, I have officially become a volunteer at our local hospital and I will start my new venture in August. I'm so excited for the opportunity that has been presented to me during my volunteer interview, that I can't wait to start. I am going to be Somerset Medical Center's first Bling Angel! Operation Bling is a non-profit organization that delivers free costume jewelry to cancer patients, both in the inpatient and outpatient centers of several NJ hospitals. It was was started over a year ago by a warm and generous woman, Chris Ferdinand who owns a jewelry store. She had learned that one of her customers was hospitalized with cancer, and upon visiting, realized that flowers are not allowed on the oncology units (because of the possible bacteria that might carry). Her friend lamented over the fact that she could not wear her "bling" in the hospital as it wouldn't be safe to do so. The next day Chris brought her  friend some hand-made costume bling and an idea was born. The organization is expanding to include SMC and I will be honored and privileged to accept the title of Bling Angel. I had worked five years on a medical oncology floor over 10 years ago, so you can see that I would be comfortable in that setting. However, now instead of worrying about the complicated procedures and treatments that I used to deliver to the patients, I will be bringing gifts and smiles. I can't think of a better job than that!