Monday, January 18, 2010

Mind Blurts

Often as I go about my day doing the tasks that I assign to myself in the hopes of filling the day with meaningful activity, some quote will just pop in my head and distract me to no end. It's not just the usual mental chatter that I've learned to chase away, but a bold statement that demands a closer listen. Usually I'm good about refraining from blurting out the first thing that comes to my mind in front of other people, as I've been caught in some embarrassing situations where a seemingly innocent comment by me, has resulted in peals of laughter as a the phrase is unconsciously linked to strong innuendo. For instance, one time I blurted out to my in-laws that I love pigs and I sleep with one every night... I was referring to my stuffed animal Babe and not my husband which caused a moment of uncomfortable silence. My kids have a field day with my ignorant blurts, and have asked me to use the word "bunny" and not "rabbit" when I am going on about how I love my pet Otis. It would never had occurred to me that people might be thinking of me loving a sex-toy. Geez. No, the mind blurts that I'm talking about now come out from the blue as internal directives. Today the voices blurted, "Live your life as if it depends on it." I was baking cookies for a relative at the time and thought I was in the process of living. I took inventory on the tasks that I needed to accomplish and realized that most of them involved doing something for someone else... there wasn't a "for me" task on the list. So here I am at the computer with a host of things to do and I'm writing about myself, for myself, as if it really matters... just to appease the "Furies" so they will shut up. Will they? I guess it just depends.