Friday, August 29, 2008

Dysfunction in a New Light

Labor day, the celebration of the last of the summertime party of backyard cookouts, outdoor games and merriment is coming.  With it lurks the unspoken anxiety of my family's  dysfunction  that is usually predictable and unavoidable. One of the things I will do this year is to see the usual characters who each have their trigger points for dysfunctional drama (myself included) in a new light before the merriment (drinking) gets going. Each member of the family will get a reflection not based on their negative attributes, but rather on what trait of theirs has enriched my life. For instance, I will think of my Dad as sharing with me his love of nature while my mom shared her sense of things mystical. One of my sisters has given me the spirit to strive to be more outgoing, while my other sister has the uncanny ability to know when I might need an encouraging pick me up. My baby sister often reminds me of how I inspired her to be the great mom that she is. My brother never fails to make me bellylaugh at his hysterical imitations and antics. Together we make up the normal dysfunctional family, however instead of focusing on each particular negative trait that still surfaces all these year later, I will only reflect on the gifts that each one has given me. As far as the usual drama that might unfold when we are blended together again at holiday time, I will accept that as a diversion from boredom.