Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Snow in October
















Well, it has been snowing those big lazy flakes that seem to signal, enjoy us now as this won't last too long. It's a 28 degree wind chill according to Weather Channel, and I am happily gazing out the windows with a sweater on and the heat pushed up to 70. I know I'm colder than I normally would be only because of the unannounced appearance of the snow. It's funny but although some snow was predicted this morning for northwestern regions of NJ, I heard of nothing but a possible wind advisory and lots of rain in the forecast. It was just yesterday though, that I spied some cirrocumulus clouds as I went about my walk. Usually these clouds lurk high in the atmosphere at about 20,000 feet and are made of ice crystals. They look like tiny puffs in a pattern, and they reminded me of a snow dusting in the sky. Since it was rather balmy and sunny, I didn't give them too much thought, although it was the first conscious thought of snow in a long time. Frankly, I thought we would already be on the road cruising points south to avoid the cold and snow that will probably be above normal on both accounts, at least according to the Farmers Almanac. My personal opinion is that snow appearing before Halloween is a sure sign of a scary winter (unless, you really like the stuff and then it would be a winter paradise). So, although I couldn't resist hanging out both the front and back doors snapping photos of the weather anomaly, I am now happy to be inside with the heat up, sipping hot tea and trying not to listen to the menacing sound of the cold northwest wind.