Tuesday, December 23, 2008

And the Scrooge Award... Goes to TD Bank

I'm a big fan of shopping online, as I don't have a car, and I like the convenience of having a really nice gift delivered to my parents in Florida. I ordered a beautiful Godiva gift basket for my mom, whose favorite thing these days is candy. The purchase was easy and I got my confirmation on email. After a quick look on my checking account to see if the purchase amount was debited correctly, I found that I was charged twice for the purchase. Keeping my temper in check, I called Godiva and they assured me that they only charged once for the purchase. The representative was very polite and told me that she had been having lots of complaints from customers, who like me, were charged twice from their accounts. She went on to explain that once the bank received the funds, one would drop off. I asked her why the bank would hold up my capital that way... it wasn't fair. She said it was probably to ensure that there was enough money in the account for the charge to go through. I was dumbfounded. I had plenty of money in my account, but now I had to make sure that the charge would indeed drop off. This is the same Canadian bank, whose chief officer said the bailout would be "a sugar boost to the US banking industry and just won't help." Meanwhile, they took over Commerce, (which was a wonderful bank), and now, hours are no longer convenient, and the service is gloomy at best.  I guess this scam is their version of a "sugar boost" for themselves... a means to trap clients who carefully budget their capital... into the dreaded overdraft. Well, Merry Christmas Scrooge bank. For my New Years resolution, I will be taking all of my money out of your dark chambers and finding an American Bank who will not use your tactics. And if that fails, I'll be investing in a home safe and I will become my own banker!