Monday, December 15, 2008

Veni, Vidi, Vici, Yappi, Dismissi...Finito

As I look back on a career path that spanned three decades and several years, I can't help but be proud of the fact that I was able to reinvent myself, and change course in several different fields. As each new job unfolded into the next best thing, I can see that this was done in an orderly progression, enhanced by what I previously learned and achieved. As a nursing student, I was terrified of hospitals and sick people, and yet I stuck it out and went on enjoy nursing in several key areas. I bounced around from nursing homes, to neonatal intensive care units, cardiac, and critical care units, and ended up a certified oncology nurse. At each turn, I remained skeptical that I had what it took to perform, and yet I managed to achieve clinical expertise wherever I applied myself. When an accident curtailed my physical ability to perform my job, I went back for additional education and achieved a degree. I returned to community nursing as a comeback, and realized that while I loved the visiting part, the homework involved was too demanding, as I could not complete paperwork in the presence of people who poured their heart out about what their illness meant to them. I took the nursing background and decided to go corporate.. as a case manager. It was a rewarding position, where I got to advocate for patient's needs, sometimes against the wishes of my insurance based employer. I used both persuasion and cost benefit analysis ... adept at the game, until the department was let go. I went on to Pharma world, where I landed a job in Data Management. After seven years I worked myself to a Senior Level and also got another degree in Information Systems while doing so. But, the job lacked a helping interaction with people, and focused on technical achievements, and so I left for a Sales and Marketing position. Though I was now helping people telephonically, forced into a daily social environment, often traveling several times a month around the country to give presentations, it soon became apparent that I was not extrovert that I hoped to be. I became burnt out and in an attempt to voice my dismay at what I perceived as a paltry raise for a glowing evaluation, I managed to get myself fired. It didn't help that I also voiced my opinion on my boss's lack of professional discretion (or as my son pointed out... "I couldn't keep my big yap shut.") It was a shocking verdict, but I have no hard feelings about it... it is what it is. I decided that I was through with the game playing that occurs in the corporate world, and I don't look back. Currently I have the luxury of being a kept House Goddess, and the time to pursue my creative talents. Sure, I have had to downsize my life, but it doesn't really seem like a sacrifice to me... just a fair tradeoff for a more enjoyable existence. And so in honesty I have to add another word to the above litany... Magnifico!