Monday, December 1, 2008

The Joyous Wonder of Child's Play

While in Florida last week, I eagerly looked forward to seeing my niece Aubrey, and her little cousin Brynnie. Of course, I looked forward to seeing my brother and his wife, and knew that there would be great food and a lot of laughter, but I really miss being around the 7 and under crowd. Children are so real, and when they laugh and play all is right with the world. So I had to share the moments we spent in the backyard watching the girls jump on Aubrey's new trampoline so you could partake of the the wonderful joy of being a kid again... if only for a moment. Bet you have to smile when you see those cherub faces gaily laughing and unabashedly showing off for the adults.  I'll bet that like me, secretly you wish you could do the same (without feeling foolish or getting hurt). Now if you're able to hear the adult commentary, then you will hear the smile on the voice of the adult as he tells them that they could be hitting the stars, or the tree, but like an adult, there is always the need to introduce a little warning or a subtle fear into the fun. The last comment made to invoke more laughter, was to be careful of a bird that might peck you in the head! Thank goodness children disregard much of what adults say, or it could have ruined all the fun. I started feeling nervous after that comment, which just goes to show, that once you have reached adulthood, that wonderful joyful abandon gets colored with warning.... as an unconscious stab of regret for a time when jumping for joy is not attached to an event... but is the event itself.