Monday, December 29, 2008

Snake on the Beach



Yesterday's forecast called for another cloudy day, but with temperatures into the mid 60's... a perfect day to take our winter pilgrimage down the shore to Point Pleasant. As we silently drove, I watched the grey clouds in the sky part to expose blue sky with light rays from the sun shining through the scattered clear spots, and I felt happy. We listened to the 60's oldie station on the radio, and it seemed like all of my favorite songs played one after the other. It's only about an hour away, and as we drove into Point Pleasant, the sun was indeed shining through a veiled mist that illuminated the ocean foam in a snowy white at the breaking points. The wind was strong as we trudged along the boardwalk to watch the people, who like us did not let the winter deter their love of the beach. As we trudged out towards the waves, I felt that old surge of peace that only comes from being near the sea...when there is no one else around. After a half hour of walking against the wind, we headed back in the other direction, as our joints and muscles had gotten a pretty good work by then. We watched boats being bounced down the the inlet for a brief sail into the ocean, only to return from whence they came. It was too rough for a pleasure cruise or a day's fishing for that matter. The sun shone through the remnants of mist, giving a filmy glow to the landscape, as we searched along the shoreline for whatever treasures we might find. I always take a big clam shell that works well as an ashtray and left the more exotic shells for the few families that were also scouting the beach for treasure. As we approached the boardwalk, I noticed an odd shaped stick that was half buried in the sand. As I uncovered it I noticed that it was a perfectly formed little snake, probably a tree branch that was smoothed by the waves. Hurray! a prefect treasure just for me! I cradled it in my coat sleeve and got it safely to the car, where I laid it gently on the back seat (as if it was a priceless ornament). Then, satisfied with my find, we went back to the boardwalk for a slice of pizza and a soda. My husband laughed and said I was a cheap date... I laughed and stated, "I know, aren't you a lucky guy." We drove home back into the gloomy clouds, but I was happy... it was a perfect date.