Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Amusing Myself With Video


Today is dark, cold and, dreary... the perfect mix for the winter doldrums to set in. But I received a facebook message from my son, with a song that he thought I would like, and so my day started with the wonderful sound of new music... he was right, I loved the song and bought the album on iTunes. I decided that I would spend the day listening to music, and so I started picking out my favorite songs on the PC and either danced or sang. I was having a great time singing today, and so I got the bright idea to pretend that I was a real singer, performing in front of an audience. This thought has always terrified me, as I was once told by a music teacher that I only had a range of 3 good notes. So I went to the photobooth application on my mac, tuned in iTunes and proceeded to record myself singing. My first attempt was the Tommy Roe song, Dizzy, but I could not manage to get the first "Dizzy" sung correctly. I took many takes, mostly for stumbling over words. And then I decided to scrap the song, and went to another Tommy Roe song, called "Baby I Love You." I sat at the PC, nervously looked into the camera and thought of my husband to whom I have dedicated the song. Now, I know I'm not quite ready for karaoke yet, but it was fun to pretend that I was playing a piano and singing, even though it seems like a lot of hard work if you're going for perfection.  And so on this dreary old day in NJ, please indulge me as I debut my singing on video. It will probably be the last public performance of my voice.