Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Synchronicity and The Hokey Pokey

I always have a good laugh to myself whenever I see the bumper sticker that reads "Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about." My first wedding was decades ago, when as a 19 year old bride, my plans to have a hippie-field wedding, in bare feet, in a field somewhere were squashed. They insisted that I have the tradition church wedding, followed by a reception for friends and family at the local Elks Lodge. My only say in the matter, was the ability to choose the band and give a playlist of music. The band turned out to be a trio of young amateurs, and I didn't even recognize our wedding song. It didn't matter though, because we had a lively group of family and friends, and everyone danced. Towards the end of the reception, the band found their groove, as they knew most of the songs that the older folks requested. Half way through the reception, I got very excited when they announced that they were playing the Hokey Pokey. I looked at my new husband with eyes of expectation and said, "Let's dance!" To my utter astonishment he looked at me with disdain, and said,"there's no way I'm doing that stupid dance!" I was crestfallen. One of his best friend's was standing within earshot and must have seen my disappointment.  I shyly asked him, "Would you do the Hokey Pokey with me?" He didn't even hesitate a moment, as he picked up my hand and kissed it, (like you would kiss the hand of a queen), and replied, " I would be honored to do the Hokey Pokey with the beautiful bride." Hand in hand, we went to the center of the dance floor and performed the entire dance. None of the "cool" young people joined in, but my partner, who was very cool, made me very happy by doing the corny dance with me.  I thanked him with a kiss on the cheek, and continued on with the celebration. My younger brother was "hired" to be the wedding photographer, but as luck would have it, he somehow lost the camera and all of the film. When I appealed to my relatives to contribute any pictures they might have of my wedding, the only contribution in which I am smiling with glee, was a photo of Gerry and I doing the Hokey Pokey. Well, my first husband and I had a marriage that lasted 12 years... we seemed to have grown apart. I am currently married to Gerry, my Hokey Pokey partner of long ago. It is a long complicated story how we got together, but we will be celebrating 13 years of marital bliss this year. For me, the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about!