Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Doing Our Part for the Economy's Sake

This past Valentine's Day was spent in an unusual way for my husband and I. Never being ones for celebrating the Hallmark variety of holidays, we made an exception this year. I am more thrilled at the flowers that come home for no particular reason then the mandatory holiday bouquet, more pleased that my husband shares his poetry with me, than I am of receiving a trite store bought card. But this year, because the economy is in such trouble, we decided to break our non-tradition, and buy something together. Since I lost my job last March, I have only bought a few clothing necessities (usually from Costco) and have not been in a mall since my job loss. So when we decided to help the economy this Valentines Day, I had to think long and hard for something that was needed, but not necessarily necessary. It took guts, but I made a bold suggestion, "how about if you bought me some new underware ... not the utilitarian variety, but rather, something that would satisfy your visual sensibility." He thought about it a minute, and then agreed. I know this is not something men relish, but since there is some form of benefit here, we set off for the mall in search of my gift. I already knew that Victoria's Secret was off the list, as too much of their stuff is geared for the young and immature (not to mention, that the whole mall parade peeks in as you try to shop there). I chose Lord and Taylor, where the lingerie is close to the exit, and off the beaten mall track. I remained silent while my husband perused the department, pointing and picking bras and panties, without any regard for price. I held my breath, avoiding the flowered and paisley matching ensembles that usually caught my eye, and waited patiently as sheer, lacy, but elegant articles of intimacy were chosen. We were the only two people in the department, and the gregarious clerk chatted happily, while ringing up our generous purchases. I was so proud of my husband; for his good taste, his generosity, but most of all, for his patience in sharing the gift of time and purpose with me. This Valentines Day, I felt like the luckiest woman in the world!