Thursday, September 18, 2008

Early Winter

What a transition day it is! Yesterday I was in shorts and sandals, all windows open as the cool breeze blew in to give an autumnal freshness to the interior of my home. The sun shone against the occasional falling leaf, and summer's end was at hand. Today as I woke up late at 6:30 AM, it dawned on me that the sun was sleeping in too.  As I pushed the comforter off and swung my legs off the edge of the bed, I was hit with a blast of cold air that sent me searching for the fuzzy slippers and real clothes to put over the sleeveless nightdress that is my morning loungewear. The hot coffee mug felt wonderful against my cold hands, and I needed to wrap a couch blanket around  me as I sat in front of the morning news. "A beautiful day" was all the weatherman kept saying. Although chilled, I reasoned that it would warm up when the sun came up. At 10 AM I shut all of the windows. At noon I pushed the thermostat to 65, just to take the chill away. At 1 PM I added a sweater to my jean and long sleeved tee and decided that since I was so cold, it would be a great day to curl up on the couch with a book and a blanket and so that is what I did. It is now 4PM and it feels really cold. The sun did make an appearance, but mostly he stayed hidden behind the graying October-like clouds, and it just felt dark and damp. I'll make the first cup of hot tea that I've had since May, just to warm up my hands. The autumn equinox comes on the 22, but today I have had a sneak preview of winter, and I'm already hoping for an Indian summer.