Thursday, September 25, 2008

Going Backwards in Time


Today as I was taking a walk to the grocery store, it dawned on me that without a car, I have gone back to a happy and simpler time. Before I got my license, I walked all over town to get the things I needed. Every Saturday I walked to the public library to take out a stack of books for the week, always taking time to watch clouds, notice flowers, rocks and trees and pick up pretty leaves or feathers to be used as my bookmarks. I loved to go to the supermarket with my Grandmother, as we would take the long walk from my house to market where she would buy me a soda to go along with the lunch she would prepare at home. This was a big deal because soda was only allowed at birthday parties in our house. My choices were either Fresca or Mountain Dew. Grandma wasn't a big talker, so I learned to walk in silence. I also enjoyed riding my bike to Victor Crowell Park, otherwise known as "the duckpond", early in the morning to watch the sun come up and shine so beautifully on the water. I could sit and watch the ducks and geese who swam there for hours. It was most beautiful in the fall when all the leaves changed colors. Today I relived all those memories in the present tense and felt exactly the same as I did when I was a kid. I didn't feel old, or worried, or impatient... I just felt alive. I watched the gray clouds cover the sun, and as I passed the duckpond I picked up two beautiful maple leaves whose colors were changing. I also got the bonus of a beautiful goose feather as a souvenir. And to reward myself for the long walk to the store I had a Fresca (with a straw in it) when I returned home and then made an arrangement of my treasures. It's funny but when it comes to your inner self things don't really change that much. 

Note: Many of the photos in the slideshow to the right were taken at the duckpond.