Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Day to Remember

At 5:00 AM I was immediately wide awake and checking the clock to make sure I did not oversleep. As I jumped out of bed, I felt like a child getting up for the long awaited trip to Disney World. The TV was on, and as I sipped coffee and listened to the newscasters talk about Election Day, I could barely contain my excitement. Today would be the first time in my life when I would be going to the polls with a clear choice for a man I truly admire. No voting for the lesser of evils, no disgruntled vote for an independent without a chance... just the honor of a lifetime to cast my vote for a brilliant and humble man with a strategic vision that has woken up a sleeping country devastated by the last administration. My husband and I got dressed and headed to the local firehouse at 5:55 to cast our votes. We were the second couple there. The first was a businessman and his wife in soccer mom sweats, and although we kindly said good morning to each other, I could tell we were probably on opposite sides of the fence. I think my tie dyed shirt and ankh cross, and my husbands Carhardt pants and knit cap gave us away to them as well. No matter, we all stared at the heavy door, peeking through the window, as the poll maids fussed about. Soon there was a small line of about 6 people, and I was getting impatient as it was already after 6:00 AM. The businessman finally tried the door and it was open all along. Names were exchanged for slips of paper, and I now waited patiently (as the second in line) to cast my votes. I hit the push buttons as hard as I could to make sure they lit up as they were supposed to, and hit the 'cast vote' button with an exaggerated flick of my wrist. It was over in a matter of seconds (I actually studied the sample ballot several times prior to coming... just to be sure). Now comes the hard part... waiting for the results and listening to the inane chatter of media. I will be both watching and listening throughout the day, as a means to alleviate my excitement in anticipation for the historic acceptance speech I hope to hear from my candidate, Barack Obama.