Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Daughter, My Friend

Saturday will mark my daughter Tara's 30th birthday, and it has taken some time to get used to the fact that she is no longer my little girl. I remember the first time I laid eyes on her little cherub face and saw the red patch of hair upon her head and my heart swelled with love and pride ... much the same way it does today when I see her coming up the front porch, pocketbook and keys in hand, as she picks me up to take me to lunch. She worries that I might get lonely the same way that I worried about her when she went away to college. I miss those early years when she was a toddler and would sit patiently, two middle fingers in her mouth, and hold the bottle for her cranky brother who was positioned in the infant seat. She never complained when I ordered her to get his diapers, keep and eye on him, or make him stop crying. At two years old she was able to manage all these skills and even now she continues to be a little mother for her grown brother. Her favorite food as a child was cookies, and it seems like yesterday when she would sneak up behind me in the pantry and pull on my apron, and state "one cookie, dats all," (her little finger proudly holding up one finger to really make the point). I couldn't resist that ploy and would often give her two, just for being so cute. Now when we "do lunch" and are both ordering salads, she is apt to remind me that my cookie generosity is one of the reasons she is ordering hers, and we both laugh. I am guilty as charged. We had few disagreements as she grew up because she always seemed wiser than her years. As a young mother, I could easily produce a temper tantrum when things didn't go my way, and Tara always had a way of calming me down, usually by just sitting next to me and stroking my hair.  She always made me so proud, whether it was getting great grades in honor classes, singing and playing piano in various choirs, dancing with the troupe at school...all things that I had a secret wish to achieve (it was as if she knew). Even as a teen, when parents are supposed to be the enemy, we never really got into power struggles. She exchanged views and ideas so maturely that as long as safety wasn't the issue, I would usually let her have her way and there was never trouble of any kind. Tara has written some of the most beautiful cards and letters for me over the years, one of the favorites is the essay she wrote for college entrance about how I have inspired her. My favorite gift of all time is when she decorated a glass jar with a gold bow and a label that read 'Reasons why I Love You'.. there were 67 reasons on slips of paper in that jar... perfect little messages that continue to give me strength when life gets tough. She is such a nurturer and shares my love of animals. Not only does she mother Lily, my grandoggie and two kittens Milo and Mimi... she has been sheltering dogs who were on their way to be destroyed... and has given them love and care until a good home was found. I could go on and on and on about the beauty of my daughter (whose nickname is Beauty) but one of the greatest gifts my daughter has given to me is the gift of her friendship. She is my best girlfriend and although there are times when she needs her mom (I will always be there), I love knowing that we truly enjoy each other's company. Happy Birthday to my Wonderful daughter and friend!!!