Monday, November 24, 2008

Journey to Florida

Well, I'm basking in the Florida weather and although the sun his hiding behind grey clouds at this moment, I am warm and happy. We got a late morning start on Saturday for the 6 hour trek to VA beach (which for some reason I thought would be the half way mark) and Gerry took the NJ turnpike corridor to start, as I don't like driving on angry, ugly roads. Stopped for lunch at the Walt Whitman rest area and ate greasy Roy Rodgers fried chicken with a biscuit that tasted like fake popcorn butter. Otis was safe within his travel cage in the back seat, with water and kibble, and didn't utter a peep. We covered his cage with a towel while we went inside to dine, so no one would think we were neglectful parents. After lunch I took the wheel, which was pretty brave considering 1) haven't really driven for the last 4 months, 2) haven't driven a stick shift in over 5 years and 3) I'm terrifyed of bridges and tunnels and I had to cross the Delaware Memorial bridge. But I bravely managed to crunch those Subee Outback gears into shape along route 13 through Delaware, Maryland and VA. Gerry took over at dusk, as prospect of driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (and tunnel), and my severe night blindness would have added just too much stress for one day. We got to Colin's bachlor pad at about 7PM with plenty of beer and the fixins for Turkey subs ( we all know Gerry is the sandwich master and boy did he deliver!) We hung out watching an episode of My name is Earl and a Crocodile Dundee movie from the 80's. Lotsa laughter and fun, and Otis really dug being free in the apartment. He stayed in the kitchen that was penned in by two laundry baskets, and waited for permission to explore the whole apartment until I woke up in the morning. We resumed our trip at 8AM and I drove us out of VA for two hours as Gerry was a little bit crunchy. He then drove for two hours through NC where we lunched at a subway. While there, a young ponytailed quadripegic man struugled to give his order in a garbled and gruff manner, and the staff was so kind patient with him. As I was leaving I smiled at him, and he said to me, "how you doing cutie"? At 51, this was a great compliment and so we had a brief, pleasant exchange. I took the wheel with the mission of driving until dark and lo and behold I made it to the Florida Welcome Center. I did 80 most of the way, and at one point, as I whizzed by a cop, he put his lights on and I thought I was screwed (I never got a speeding ticket, only a warning). He must have gotten another call in the pursuit, as he didn't follow me, and so I slowed to 70 ...briefly. Otis didn't make any fuss whatsovever, but looked a little carsick, if I must say. Gerry took the dark leg of the trip from Jacksonville to Oviedo with a quick stop at a McDonald's, so thrifty me could order off the dollar menu (I'm soo money.) After whining about a beer thirst, Gerry stopped at a liquor store for beer and scotch, and we picked up food for Wiggy (my elderly mom) at an Albertson's. When we finally arrived at sister Bonnie's house it was dark and I had to peek in the window to see if it was actually hers, as we forget the house number and they are all somehat similiar (gated community). Was glad to hug and kiss my mom, who looks older and feebler than my last recollection, but still happy and cared for. Otis enjoyed running around the pool in their enclosed screen room (called a 'lin- I', which I can't spell) and we went to bed at 10PM thrilled at the prospect of a vacation in warm and sunny Florida.