Thursday, May 14, 2009

I Got to See the Baby!

Today I was up bright and early... the morning routine completed within an hour. At 7:30 my daughter Tara (nicknamed Beauty) arrived with her bagel and OJ, a mom-to-be needs her nutrition. I was too excited to eat, so I brought my bag of raisins and nuts and we headed to the hospital for The Ultrasound. We got there in time for Beauty to fill out the 7 forms for insurance and I watched her methodically sign with the same scrawl as her Dad. I tried not to chatter too much, but we managed a few laughs just the same. The scrub dressed technician called us in to the room, and I needed to sit down as my Tara got her blood taken from a pinprint... I could have fainted even though as a nurse I'd done this to others hundreds of times before. As soon as the gel was applied our eyes gazed to the monitor screen and within seconds the black and white swirls turned into a little person nestled into a hammock of comfort. I couldn't help myself, the tears ran down my face..."Oh, Mom, I knew you would cry," murmured Beauty (her eyes looked a little teary too)...  it was amazing! The sound came on and there was the beating of a little heart... 164 beats a minute, a perfect assessment of health. My daughter was relieved as last time she couldn't hear this sound. As the ultrasound wand waved over her abdomen, my grandchild started doing wiggles and flips in the watery nest and we started laughing as the technician told us that this was normal. It was the best acrobatic show I ever saw and I did the happy clap. Then as the screen went quiet, as we were told the baby was resting with heels together... the goddess position? What a wonderful show! Afterwards we chatted a few minutes about our personal experiences... me explaining that my daughter was born three weeks late. "Don't worry," replied the tech, " in this day and age no one is allowed to carry beyond 41 weeks." I was relieved... thank goodness medicine found some common sense. On the way home, Tara and I had a happy chat and I held those pictures as if they were gold. I can't wait to show them off and share my excitement with those who like me, adore our Beauty, mother-to-be.