Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Walk in the May

Today was a banner day for a Springtime lover like me. Dogwoods are in full bloom and just slightly browning and wrinkling at the edges. The graceful little lily of the valleys are still pearly in the streak of sunlight as they quietly hover in the cool shade of the leaf laden trees... the delicate aroma still exquisite. But the specialty blooms of azalea are in peak performance in shades of red, pink, orange, and white. As I walked by the various shrubs in neighboring yards, I noticed that every blossom was open and basking in the sunlit sky under the the shade of cottony gray and white clouds. As I did my walking meditation in thankfulness for the grace and splendor of Mother Nature, I pulled out my pocket camera and  snapped pictures of the beautiful blooms along the way. Even the mailman clad in his official walking shorts and blue short sleeve shirt remarked that it was the perfect day for a mailman... in an unusual burst of friendliness. The two mile walk I took was not a walk for exercise, but a meander of visual delight... I could have walked ten miles on a day such as this. I even stopped at the local nursery and bought two packs of purple and white petunias to plant in the empty urns on our back patio. Such joy I felt digging into the dirt and delicately placing them as if by professional arrangement into their new home. Once this task was completed, the sky rapidly began clouding over and now a quiet darkening has occurred... perhaps a sprinkling of rain will water and nourish all this surrounding beauty. I sigh in thankfulness for a day that was well spent.