Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day



What a beautiful day it was on Sunday... sunny (after all that rain) and a little breezy, but the warmth of family made up for the fact that it wasn't really hot (my kind of day).  Our youngest was up from VA this weekend and it is always a pleasure to spend time with him as he enters the next phase of his life. I had a nice long talk with my son over the weekend and I am always impressed with his mature view on life and the advice he gives to me... sometimes your kids are able to see you better than you see yourself. I lamented the fact that I had not yet seen a hummingbird and he brought me a fuschia plant to help speed the process along. I missed a visit from our youngest daughter but she sent the nicest card and gift certificate for a future pampering... we'll catch up at Zumba class. My daughter, thoughtful as ever, found me a Tara cow complete with jewelry for my beloved collection.. and bore with me the fact that for the hundredth time I told her she was named for the Hindu goddess whose name means shining star. Her husband brought me a bottle of good Scotch... a real luxury these days. My in-laws came and as usual delighted us with their laughter and stories, and a lavender hanging geranium for me as well. My dear sweet husband cooked us all chicken parmigiana and spaghetti, I made sure everyone got their greens (with a summer salad) and there was a potent chocolate cherry mousse cake. After the family left and the kitchen was cleaned, I called my Mom and sister to wish them a Happy Mother's day. My mom usually a little down these days, was cheerful and awaiting her special chocolate dessert... I still miss her terribly. At sunset, I enjoyed my alone time on the porch to write poetry and listen to one of my favorite groups, INXS. I couldn't have asked for a better day or a better family.