Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Looking for Worms

All my life I have had an earthworm phobia. It started when I was about four years old and according to my mother's claims, I saw many of them coming out of the ground after a rainstorm and I began screaming WORMS, WORMS, WORMS in fright. After that I would not go out after a rainstorm, and when I had to walk to school on a rainy day, I remember feeling panicked the whole way. I walked with my head straight forward so I wouldn't have to look at them, and if by chance I did see one, my mouth would go dry, I had a hard time swallowing, and I felt as though I was going to faint. Lately though, I'm trying very hard to make peace with these harmless and important creatures. Last week as I took some photos of mushrooms growing in the dirt, I saw a tiny baby worm wiggling furiously next to my intended shot. At first I felt that jolt of alarm until I realized this was so tiny, like a little newborn, so I bent down to watch closely. I even took a photo of the little thing, and mysteriously when I uploaded it, although you could not tell it was a baby worm, its glistening form created a little smily face in the dirt. The next day after a rain shower, I noticed another tiny baby worm wiggling in the flooded seat of a canvas chair. I felt sorry for it knowing that it would probably drown, so I tipped the water into the grass to give it chance. I thought of picking it up, but that still seemed too scary. Today, it is overcast and the weather is calling for rain showers all day. I thought it would be a good day to face up to my phobia and go for a walk. As I strolled down the sidewalks and into the street on the way to the grocery store, I purposely looked down hoping to spy the crawlykins of my fear. Everywhere I looked there were wet twigs that caught my eye... but not one single worm during the 40 minute walk. I don't know whether I should feel happy or disappointed, but with the forecast calling for a week of rain, I'm sure I will get another chance.