Monday, May 4, 2009

A True Champion

My daughter Tara is one of the people I most admire in the world. She is always signing up to do charity work with both people events and animal activities. When she makes up her mind to do something, she always sees it to the end. Yesterday she completed a 1/2 marathon race in Long Branch (she has been training for months). Working with a trainer of the same name, my daughter set her goals and steadily increased her stamina and endurance... that was until a few months ago when she became pregnant. No, she didn't stop training like many would have done, but common sense told her that she needed to be more flexible. When the fatigue and nausea of early pregnancy visited, instead of just quitting or postponing her goals, she instead adjusted her workouts and listened to her body to tell her what felt right and what didn't. Her trainer continued to work with her in understanding and encouragement. Tara also had the loving support of her friend Tee and her sister Erica, who also trained for the big race. Although I was worried about her health and safety during this arduous event, I kept my thoughts to myself. I rationalized that she would be in good company during the race and her supportive husband would be there for her as well. It was probably good that there was a misty cool rain yesterday instead of  hot humidity and glaring sun. When I saw Tara after the race, (at a congratulatory party given for the girls by Tara's other mom), she looked tired but contented. Unfortunately, her trainer had a family emergency to deal with and wasn't able to support my daughter from the start of the race... completely understandable. Tara started off in the company of the girls, but by the five mile mark had to slow to a walk. The girls were concerned and wanted to keep pace with her, but my daughter indignantly yelled at them, "NO, go for it.. and everyone knows you don't argue with a red head. Tara relayed that she was almost ready to give up at the 10 mile mark, but amazingly her trainer showed up at the marathon, calculated mathematically where my daughter might be at that point of the race, and ran the rest with her in support and encouragement. I'm so proud that Tara was able to achieve her goal, and relieved that it is over. I would like to thank her trainer Tara for being there... she is a trainer truly worth her weight in gold.