Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Virgo's Secret

I read my horoscope on most days, mostly for the fun of what has been hashed over ad nauseam for years. I'm told I'm practical, analytical, fastidious, loyal, even pretty... all good things I suppose. Funloving, spontaneous, artistic... those traits never seem to come into play. But today there was a glimmer of hope that I am not just a depiction of some snooty, prudish, and critical archetype of spinster maiden. Today I happened to look at the general overview for my sign, something I haven't done in years and I had to laugh when I read, "You might be a clean freak, but most Virgos have a messy closet or a disaster underneath their bed." Messy closets I will attest to, as in my attempt to make things tidy, I'm often shoving things in the dark recesses of the cabinets or closets and then can't seem to find them at at later time. I take pride in my organization skills... my work files were always up-to-date and immaculate, as was my folders and email. However, my husband can attest to the fact that when I am in the midst of my writing, all organization goes out the window and I can't even seem to separate the scribbles of poetry, snarks, and prose, into the confines of a three subject notebook. It all just gets scribbled down in a messy fury that often needs decipher from my patient partner. As far as disaster under the bed, I'm comfortable with dustbunnies as I pull the comforter down so no one can see them... that is until I am up for the inspection of prospective home buyers, and then in a frenzy I will vacuum and polish the wood under the bed (as if that should matter.) I really want to be a wandering free-spirit without the confines of a house, a job, and responsibility, but I know that even if we get to enjoy the dream of a traveling home, it will be spotless and out of a sense of purpose I will probably sweep the dirt of the campsite... but somewhere in a laptop, there will be the messy scribbles and photos of the adventure, and I will probably have to rely on my fun-loving Gemini mate to help me make sense of it.