Monday, August 17, 2009

Content to Just Be

What a wonderful, glorious, peaceful and productive day it was. I got to sleep until I woke up... no nagging alarm at 5:00 AM, instead I stretched and lingered until the birds gave me the signal that it was time to get up and get going... 6:22, which is actually the time I was born (go figure). I wandered downstairs to greet Otis and Gerry, who had already had their morning guy bonding on the couch. I didn't bother to turn the volume on the TV, I can read the local weather forecast and after a week of constant TV yammering, I was happy for the silence. Instead I sat on the front porch, and enjoyed the beginning of a dog day of summer... hot, hazy, and humid (how I waited for this). I played with my Otis, who run to me as I lay on the floor and delivered rabbit kisses to my face and hands. I really felt like he missed me this passed week while I was away (I know for sure my husband did). Happily I cleaned and vacuumed the house, washed my car, Otis's cage and the front porch. I then fixed the side molding on my car with gorilla glue... oh, that stuff is just fantastic! I cleaned up the yard, did two loads of laundry and washed and painted the old rockers on the front porch. Then, feeling very special because I have a car again, I dropped some clothes at the cleaners, went and bought two plastic porch chairs while the rockers dry on the lawn, and snooped at Marshall's in case i saw a nice inexpensive outfit for Gerry's daughter's wedding shower this weekend. I was thrilled to find a colorful gypsy skirt and a long teal cotton top that covers the drawstring waist. there are little bells on the strings and the bottom of the skirt has a gold ribbon sewed into the hem which gives it a real wild look. I also found the gold and silver gladiator style sandals that I have been searching for all summer... they were on sale for $7.00 (I thought I would faint at my good fortune!) Though it is 90 degrees and I'm on my second change of clothes, I couldn't be happier at home as a domestic goddess again. I tried the full time work thing and made some money to buy my car, some gifts for family, and my new outfit... but watching my brother in law's health deteriorate over the last week has made me reflective... and thankful for my good health. Life is short and there is no place better to be than where you already are at any given moment. I am content to be with myself, and my happiness depends on it.