Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Confessions of a Facebook Maniac

A few months ago I joined Facebook with the intention of viewing some photos of distant family and friends, and generally being a bit of a nosy-bird. At first, I was reluctant to post anything as my life is usually detailed in the daily blog that I do here. However, once the friends and comments started to surface, and I gained more confidence in the workings of the application, well there is no stopping me now...I'm addicted. My PC sits in the now empty living room (we are slowing giving our possessions away in preparation for our life on the road) and it is hard to avoid the updates that bold within my email inbox and beckon me to respond. Not a day goes by when I don't have some little quip for friends, or loudly announce on my wall what I am doing, thinking or anticipating. Hundreds of pictures have been uploaded into various albums, and I even find clips from youtube to share with my friends. You see, although I enjoy being home (having lost my job months ago), I often get a little lonely and miss the good natured banter that is shared in the work environment. After all, it's not like you have time to carry on lengthy conversations at work, and since all my friends are currently working, I can hardly call up and catch up. But with Facebook chatter, I don't feel left out and isolated. Some of the people who have asked to be my friend are much younger, and don't really post anything I can safely comment on. The young have an open, unedited lingo that amazes me, and any reply would seem like a scolding mom. Just as they are respectful of my daily jabbering that shows up in their updates, I am equally respectful of their colorful and explicit language. It's only fair. However my one policy that I try to uphold for myself is to be positive... a little snarky is ok if it's truly funny, but sarcastic or caustic humor is just not my style. I have also learned that when my husband posts his "out there" posts, I don't try to read any negative meaning into them, especially when they are commented upon by female friends with whom I am not acquainted. Facebook is fun, and can be flirtatious, and jealousy should not be allowed to ruin things. Occasionally I wonder if I am over posting comments about myself and the things that keep me amused, but I'm sure everyone has those insecurities now and then, and the great thing about Facebook is that you are free to participate, ignore, or delete. I'm sure the novelty will fade with time, but while I'm a posting maniac, I am going to thoroughly enjoy every comment, quip and reply... as it's my only form of day-time socialization.