Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A True American Hero

I woke with the excitement of a child, promised their first visit to the hometown carnival. The sun was rising to illuminate the newly fallen snow that still hung to the barren branches, as the golden orb rose in blueing skies... the world looked fresh and new. I completed my domestic chores at record speed, so I could sit and watch a new day unfold. At 9:30 AM, I watched the hordes of proud Americans... a true melting pot of unbridled joy and celebration congregate, to welcome our true American Hero. Barack Obama never fought in a war, only pledged his support to end unjust aggression.. Though soft spoken, articulate, and intellectual, he had the heart to capture our imagination... that change could be made, would be made, and the nation will be healed, in spite of unprecedented misfortune. I cried as I watched the smiling faces in the frigid cold, and then laughed as a proud Magic Johnson said he would only give Barack Obama slack on the court, if Obama would give slack on his taxes. Then I repressed a sneer, as it was reported that old Mr. Potter (Dick Cheney) was in a wheelchair, after throwing out his back... as he was sent packing. I loved the irony of an Obama fan holding up a sign, 'Mission Accomplished -Nov. 4, 2008'. I yelled ... Good Riddance, at the TV, as George W. marched in to "Hail to the Chief," and could only imagine Bill Cinton's snarky comment to Hillary, as she slap- patted his arm, and tried to maintain her dignity and composure. I did an enthusiastic happy clap, and cheered, as a cool and composed Barack Obama strode proudly, yet humbly, toward the podium. I felt as if it took all his reserve to keep his gentle soul from becoming emotional, as he looked out over the sea of hope that greeted his presence. As he emerged with a smile , with the light of day... every hand clapped, every voice was heard... a sea of applause. I was only inspired by the invocation delivered, as the pastor included Obama's wife and children in equal parts, as he asked for the paternal deity to protect. Perhaps, because Obama is surrounded by beloved females, the goddess deity will finally be recognized... and yin and yang of the planet will be restored. I got chills as Aretha Franklin sang, and the camera went to the Grand Canyon, which in some way included the Native American Spirit. Joe Biden was confidently sworn in, with his military son in attendance. As Itzhak Perlman and Yo Yo Ma played their ancient instruments, both Obama and Biden showed their appreciation for the creative spirit, in awe, as the camera panned to an Asian girl, holding her hands in prayer. What started as a minor key, somber yet beautiful song, evolved into a joyous celebration of hopeful notes of praise to something more powerful than the mind could comprehend... my heart resonated to its interpretation. The song by Copeland... "The Gift to Be Simple." At 12:05 I stood, as Barack Hussein Obama was sworn in as 44th president, to the swelling crescendo of applause. I have never been so proud to be an American... represented by a True American Hero.