Monday, January 19, 2009

Sponsoring Mamadou

Last week, as I recollected my Aunt's generosity in sponsoring a little boy from Egypt, I thought about sharing my own story of how I came to sponsor my own child through the Christian Children's Fund (CCF). I had been giving out donations to various organizations for years, so when I was mailed a brochure for this organization, I became interested. I had heard the pleas from Sally Struthers, in years prior and had thought, well you're a rich celebrity, get other's like yourself to do that kind of pledging. But about seven years ago, there was an article by a New York Times editorialist, named Nicolas Kristof, who had done some research about the organization, and although he was sure he would find some flaw, came to the conclusion that it was actually legitimate, and sincerely spent the money helping communities , families and children. My interest was peeked, and so I sent in my application and picked out one of the most "dire" cases of a child in need and mailed it in. Mamadou was a sad looking African boy from Senegal who was about 11 years old, but looked about 6, and was being raised by family members that were in extreme poverty. The picture was heartbreaking, and although I was sure that I was doing something to help with my donation, I was not prepared for how close I was to become with this child and his family. After receiving a picture and some background information, I was surprised to receive a hand written letter in French, that was translated for me by an "aunt". The aunt might well have been a CCF employee, but the letter of thanks, and description of little Mamadou's personality seemed genuine. A small drawing in crayon, of a bird was neatly displayed on the original French letter... with the words, "I hug and kiss you." I cried, and then sent a letter with a picture of myself, so he would know I was real. It was hard to know what to say to a little boy so far away, as you are told that you must be sensitive to culture ( he is a Muslim) and that you shouldn't talk about your pets, as in his country, animals are not domesticated... they are food.  It would take about 12 weeks from the time I wrote to him to get my response and likewise, as mail is slow, but around holiday time, I would send CCF money for Mamadou and his family, and I always got a warm thank you, and a description of how it was spent. I learned that Mamadou had sisters who would not have been able to attend school, but in receiving my gifts, the family was able to send them as well. I learned how Ramadan was celebrated, first in fasting, and then in sharing of food and gifts with neighbors. I shared stories and pictures of my children to which Mamadou would reference in his return letters.. always with loving comments. During this time, his mother returned home to the family (after a problem with drugs), and started a business raising chickens. I knew he loved soccer, and made sure he was able to buy his own soccer ball...a picture of him confirmed it had been received. Not everything I sent was money, once I went online to download a picture of his beloved team, The Senegal Lions.. and sent it to him. Always, I received thanks and blessing from his warm and humble family, as well as a hand drawn picture from Mamadou himself. We wrote letters and sent pictures for 7 years, and in that time Mamadou graduated from his schooling and was going to secondary school to be a car mechanic... that is until he could eventually go to university to be a doctor. When, I unexpected lost my job and needed to severely downsize my life, I wrote to my adopted family and told them that I could no longer send the gifts I was accustomed to sending... I received a letter back, thanking me for all of my generosity and letting me know that I would continue to be in their hearts and prayers ...  "you are a good person, Wendy, and Allah will shine his light on you, they wrote." I cried. 
So, you can just imagine my profound joy, when our youngest son Colin, out of the blue, called to tell me he is sponsoring a child of his own through the CCF. I cried... knowing that this simple act of kindness, will be one of his greatest rewards... just as it was for me.