Thursday, January 22, 2009

In Celebration of Belly Fat

I swear, the marketing forces of the Internet know my demographic information, as every other add that I see attached to my blog, email, or google search, seems to haunt me with the best way to get rid of belly fat. Be that as it may, they don't know me... or they would not waste my time with such drivel. Gone are the days when I would hope someone would notice me, to offer a modeling contract, or an offer to pose in the Sports Illustrated bathing suit edition. No, I'm 51 years old... which I am happy to get down on one knee and pronounce (like Molly Shannon in that famous Saturday Night Live skit), for I've earned that glorious distinction of being a mature woman... who just doesn't care what others think. Each day as I wriggle into my size 8 or 10 jeans, and assess that little roll that gracefully flows over the top of the jeans that accentuate the girlish thighs and butt that my genes have afforded me...I am grateful. With a long blouse or sweatshirt that I am so fond of wearing these days... no one but me and the man I truly care for, can see it anyway. And if he thinks it's OK, who am I to judge? I have learned from science that the fat that is gracing my mid-section is actually helping me ward off the menopausal flashes and sweats that are a natural part of my autumnal existence. You see, those cells afford me some extra bursts of estrogen, that keep chin hairs and mustache from forming on my face, keep my voice from sounding like Patty or Selma from the Simpsons, and keep my libido on high alert. The muffin top also reminds me when I am truly full (and not just eating out of boredom) and so it keeps the rest of me in pretty good shape. A few years ago, I bought a statue of Aphrodite (my special deity) and guess what?... she is not a concave bellied beauty...she is idealized in her womanly attributes, yes, but even she has a soft outward curve of abdomen, as a small protrusion of her womanhood. With her arms held high above her head and a confident smile on her face, she reminds me to rejoice and celebrate who I am... and so I do. So enough of these inane adds that are sure to grace this blog for the sheer recognition of the words I use... I celebrate my belly fat... it has been earned in the joy that eating good food and drink has given me, and I'm not willing to give that up any time soon!