Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Homage to a Stone as Dijart


















This past X-mas eve as we were visiting my husband's parents, I snuck outside to have a cigarette on their patio, and I noticed a most unusual site. There was a phallic ice sculpture sitting in a plastic tub of water. It was glistening in the sun like an angel and I though I couldn't imagine how it got there or what caused it, I went inside to get the camera to shoot it. I couldn't quite get the right shot of it, as it glistened in the overhead sun against some snow on the ground, so I moved the pan carefully in front of a stone wall (that is like a big tombstone) with the family name etched in stones. It is also a mystery as to why that wall is there, and I'm sure if I asked, there would be a very good story behind it, but it just added another dimension to the ice mystery, and I took my shot. Today as I looked at the picture of the ice in the plastic pan, I started to envision  a mysterious event surrounding the figure and the stone. First I played with the saturation, contrast and exposure in iPhoto. Not content with the image I had, I copied to my desktop, and with mac edit tools, I set to work to transform my find. No sooner did I adjust the black and white settings, than my vision took hold. A mysterious being who is kneeling away from the stone wall, in a cape, face unseen, and holding a piece of the stone ...I'll call it "homage to a stone." It only takes a few minutes of my time here and there, but it will be another addition to the digital art album, that I refer to as my dijart. There is always a story connected to the work that I create, and it is just perfect when there is a camera on hand to record it!

My album -   http://picasaweb.google.com/wendilea