Monday, January 5, 2009

Kitty Sitting


I am one of those cat loving people, who, if I had things my way, I would have a house full of the glorious creatures. Alas, my husband doesn't feel the same, and so we have a pet bunny rabbit. My daughter had recently gotten two kittens from a rescue, Milo and Mimi, who needed looking after  while she and her husband vacationed in Myrtle Beach over the holiday. Since I don't have a car, my daughter left her's for me, so I could look in on her kitties at my leisure. Milo, is the black and white male to the right, and is such a little lover. He could be heard mewing loudly at the door, as I attempted the various locks to my daughter's home entrance.  Once in, Milo would rub my legs as I came into the door, and lead me into the kitchen mewing loudly. At first I thought this was because the food bowl was empty, but when I quickly filled it, he showed no interest at first, and then jumped on the kitchen table to sniff at my face. He didn't seem content until I scooped him up and cuddled him like a baby. Mimi, on the other hand is a female, and her mewing and following me to the kitchen had one big goal in mind... food. She was first everyday to the food bowl and my attempts at petting her as she ate brought a cold haughty stare. Once finished with her meal, she would retreat to a hiding place and make herself scarce. I found her peeking at me from out of a hall closet, from behind the toilet, and within a small space between the cupboard and the wall. She is a real beauty, but a bit shy. It took a good part of the week for her to lie on the couch and let me pet her. I was persistent and it paid off, but I could sense that she did not like the cooing and mauling that Milo demanded. So I would wait quietly on the couch until Mimi demurely perched near me. Then silently, I would stoke her back and scratch her head and neck. Mimi prefers the slow and subtle shows of affection, which I had to learn. Milo on the other hand, seemed to enjoy my loud squeals of adoration and close cuddling. He would hop up on the highest tables and counters to get my attention so I would pick him up, and he didn't even mind the kisses I delivered. Of course, my biggest struggle was keeping him at bay when I wanted to spend quality time with Mimi, as he would step right in front of her to divert my petting hand to him. All in all, we got on famously because I let them decide how they wanted to be treated by me, and in return they gave me love in their own special way, with their own unique personality... as I would expect from my adorable grandkitties.